The Y Course exists because the gap between those inside the church and those outside gets ever wider.
As a result, those outside the Church –
- No longer know our stories or speak our language
- Are not asking the questions we most want to answer
- Would like to be ‘talked with’ rather than ‘talked to’
- Have little time for religion but are open to being spiritual
This means a growing number of people are not yet ready for a course like Alpha. And the Y Course has been crafted to meet this need.
As a result it –
- The content comes mainly from the Gospels – the texts created with a view to people finding faith in Jesus and following him
- Doesn’t start with the subject of Christianity but begins with issues about life itself
- Takes time to establish what God must be like – giving meaning to conversations about Jesus actually being God
- Puts the focus on knowing Jesus and becoming his disciple
- Gives people lots of time to think through the issues before presenting them with the choices involved